Monday, 28 November 2011
Big progress this weekend, I finished stripping the frame, then decided to give it a coat of rust remover, would have been all good and well but the rust remover dried to a powdery surface that lifted as soon as you touched it, done use loctite rust treatment if you plan on just painting it on then overpainting. After a couple of hours I managed to scotchbrite it all off leaving a good surface to filler prime, this went on really well and with no reacting where I couldnt get to the rust treatment with the scotchbrite. This morning I rubbed all the frame with 400 wet and dry then prepped it for a coat of black enamel. I was dreading spraying this as Ive always brush painted it bofore and it runs just looking at it, so I turned the pressure down on the compressor and adjusted the tip to just give out a waft of paint with plenty of air and it sprayed a treat, I dont think Ill ever brush paint it again Im really pleased with the results, Id already hand painted the swingarm, side engine plates and main stand but wasnt happy with the brush strokes in it, so out came the trusty scotchbrite, gave them all a key and rubbing down the brushstrokes at the same time and these came up a treat as well. Very chuffed. To thin the enamel for spraying, just keep adding nitro celly thinners to it till it get to a watery consistency and stir well, dont leave it in the gun too long, if you have to make sure you stir the paint again or all the heavy enamel sinks to the bottom, and will spit out blobs of paint when you start spraying again. Major progress, its drying nicely now and then I can start on final build!
Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Saturday, 12 November 2011
Still filler priming, tank is finally ready for top coat, its smooth as a babies bum at last, mz must have used loads of filler primer from the factory cause after sandblasting the stamp marks were really prominent and it took ages to blast, so after what seems like ages its finally ready to paint, bought the paint today its opal silver which is the closest you'll get to Norton silver, not too bigger flake in the metallic and close to the mz factory racing paint
Friday, 11 November 2011
The front brake on aa supa 5 is a weedy affair, the brake arm is enclosed inside the drum so this is unnecessarily short, I was going to machine the standard drum to allow a longer arm on the outside instead of inside, but I managed to bag another stafford classic bike show bargain. Its a Jawa 350 twin leading shoe front wheel and picked it up for a bargain £20 inc drum brake, sorted. Its such a good match that it even used the same front wheel bearings as the MZ and the ally rim looks near enough identical to the rear rim, result! The only thing is that it is about 10mm narrower that the MZ overall bearing surface, but at least its not too wide wich would have been a headache. So I mounted the wheel up in the forks,centralised it and measured for spacers. On the torque arm side of the drum it normally locates in a square in the fork leg, which the MZ one dosent have, so I need to get some 30mm x 3mm box section and make a torque arm mount, but this will double up as the spacer for the other side and should look pretty neat, so left spacer is done now its 5.15mm for the record leaving 4.65mm for the torque as side as its thicker. Looks great just the torque arm mount and arm to make and machine the top yolk down and thats the front end sorted.
Left side centered and measured up
Right side temporary spacer washer put in and drum in place
to fabricate torque arm
Monday, 7 November 2011
Second coat of filler primer now on waiting for it to harden, off to the paintshop to buy the colour and Ill update some pics when its painted. Also stripping the frame with a wire cup brush, then going to brush paint it with some satin black enamel over 1K brushable primer. Swingarm and main stand done.